Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Last but not least

The Last Day of Class
In taking field studies in marine biology I was able to expand my knowledge in a way that could not be done by simply sitting in a classroom. I was able to gain real world experience in a number of ways that would not be otherwise possible if I had not taken this course. As well I was able to meet 11 other students who were just as passionate as I about the world of marine science.
This course definitely helped prepare for the real world of marine science by immersing us in activities that many people will never get the chance to do or see, especially as undergrads. How many other people will get the chance to go on a research vessel in their lifetime, let alone as a student? When do people get the chance to take a sediment core sample and determine the history of that location simply by performing a few tests and analyzing the composition? How many people do you know that get the chance to see some of the most beautiful reefs in the United States and how they are actively being restored? How many chances will you get to spend 24 hours in an ecosystem and see for yourself the changes that can occur? All these things were possible for me to do, but only because I took this course. If I had not, the places would still be there but I would not have the equipment or instruction to perform these activities alone.
Though I took this class hoping that it would point me in the direction of what I wanted to pursue as a career,   it instead opened many more doors. There are so many things that can be done in the Marine Science, as it is  a truly diverse field.
Finally I'd like to thank all the professors who took part in creating this unique course, as well as our graduate T.A. Breanna Korsman for putting up with us and being our only liaison from site to site.
Learning about the Fossil Reefs of Windley Key

Counting and Measuring the species collected in a seine net during our 24 hour Study

Coquina Rock Formations of Marineland

The Genetic Drift 

Canoeing to our site while at FGCU

Analyzing what was found at Ft. De Soto

Learning about Coral Restoration at Mote Marine Lab

The Weatherbird during T.S. Andrea

Analyzing Algae Samples at Keys Marine Lab

Recording Water Quality Parameters during our 24 hour Study

Finding things in the Sargassum at Bahia Honda State Park

Homework Time at FGCU

Sediment Core from FGCU

Dr. Hackney watching the sunset during our 24 hour study

Analyzing Sea Grass off the coast of Koch Key 

Oyster Reefs near Vester Marine Lab

No comments:

Post a Comment