Monday, July 1, 2013

Last Week at UNF

 Letting go an Atlantic stingray.
 Recording salinity, DO, temp and conductivity with a YSI.
Pulling in the 70ft seine net.

This last week at UNF was a great way to sum up an amazing course that I was so blessed to be able to be a part of. My favorite part about the week had to be  the 24 hour diel study, being able to see the drastic change from low to high tide was a great spectacle to see. While on this study I learned what a weir is, how it is used and what is does. At the GTM NEER the weir was originally constructed to create a lake to attract water fowl. The weir helps alter the flow of the tides be slowing the outlet or inlet of water into or from the lake side. I was also able to see the diversity of different fishes that lived at the GTM NEER and how time of day correlated with the species richness and species evenness that we observed. Overall this week and this entire course have been an amazing learning experience and I have gained so much from it and I am sad to say that it is over but all good things must come to an end and the 24 hour diel study was a great way to wrap things up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment