Tuesday, May 28, 2013

About Me

Hey Guys,
My name is Jessica Smith I am currently in my senior year at University of South Florida St. Pete.  I am a biology major with an environmental science focus. I plan on getting my M.S. degree in applied environmental science.  I am a Florida native; being raised in marine  coastal environment has shaped my interests and passions to be marine focused. I am here doing my undergraduate research. My research is on biodiversity of seagrass beds and which abiotic factors may have an effect on species distribution of the grasses. Essentially I am looking to see if biodiversity is higher in mixed seagrass beds or monotypic beds, and to see if this holds true through the many locations we will be visiting. From this trip, I look forward to gaining knowledge and field experience working with the many marine ecosystems. 
Cheerio,
Jessica Smith

2 comments:

  1. If only we had more seagrasses in Northeast Florida. You may see more freshwater varieties in your trip on the St. Johns River. Vallisneria can be found in the less turbid areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, a fellow Florida native! :)

    ReplyDelete