Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 1: Big Tides

Day 1: Tuesday 5/28

It was great meeting everyone yesterday!  We covered a good amount of basic information on the Atlantic coastline and its processes.  Thanks for being active participants in the lecture/discussions.

I have lived and breathed by tidal cycles for the last 15 months of my life, literally planning vacations and scheduling my teaching load around the spring tides.  So, I thought I'd share a few cool mega-tidal events.  Dr. Smith mentioned that the Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia, has the largest tidal range in the world.  I found this video of the tidal bore at the Bay of Fundy.  And here's a video of the awesome tidal bore coming up the Amazon.  These events are pretty impressive when compared to the creeping flood tides experienced along some portions of the Florida coast.


Low tide in the Bay of Fundy~

No comments:

Post a Comment