Monday, June 3, 2013

First Day at USFSP


And the blog assignments begin! Today was out first official day out in the field and it was a blast! I’ve never been on a field trip quite like today; we went out to Fort DeSoto Park and learned a little about to vast biodiversity the Tampa Bay has to offer. My word of the day is neuston. It is a term referring to planktons that live at or near the surface. I learned how to fish using a cast net today. It may look easy but it takes a little skill if you’ve never done it before. I really wish someone would have been recording me trying to throw it the first few times because it was definitely an amusing event! Below are a few pictures I took today, the first is the pier we were studying at, the second is Jessica mastering the cast net, the third is a lazy seagull catching a ride from a pelican, and the forth is Jessica, Angelina, and Jennifer sifting through the intertidal zone.



 

1 comment:

  1. Haha You got the seagull sitting on the pelican! I love it.

    ReplyDelete