Sunday, June 2, 2013

First Day of Field Research!

So today was my first time in the field researching on my own! It was quite exciting and definitely a learning experience . I quickly unloaded my car and ran to USFSP's waterfront to check out a kayak and get on with my research. I paddled out of the mouth of the harbor in search of my seagrass beds, and came upon them after about twenty minutes; luckily it was low tide, which made it much easier.  I began mapping out the perimeter of the seagrass bed, and taking the dimensions. I took the abiotic factors in three locations of the bed. I then ran out of time to do the actual species composition list but I plan on returning to the site to do so. Except one minor detail.. I forgot to take the GPS coordinates. Soo... if I am not able to find my seagrass bed again tomorrow I chalk this one up to be a good practice session!


On the move! 


Found them!


Mapping out the perimeter.


Dissolved oxygen test.


Refractometer to measure salinity.

2 comments:

  1. This is very cool! Let me know if you need any help with anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an interesting project. I look forward to hearing about the results!

    ReplyDelete