Saturday, June 29, 2013

That's a wrap!

    Wednesday we began our 24 hour diel study. We left campus at 8:30 am and headed to GTM (Guana Tolomato Matanzas) Education and Research Center. We split into groups and did seine nets every two hours, and water quality every half hour on the estuary side, and seine nets every three hours, and water quality every hour lakeside. This is because the lake was not changing as rapidly as the estuary, in terms of salinity, dissolved oxygen (D.O.), water temperature, and turbidity. I had dreaded this 24 hour study thinking it would be absolutely exhausting and miserable - we had been told students say, "It is something I will never forget", and we weren't sure if that was in a positive or negative way! But having completed the study and gotten back Thursday at noon, I can honestly say that I enjoyed myself! It was an amazing experience and I am happy to have had it. We saw the tide come in and out twice - something I have never observed before, pulled up several interesting seines, and were watched by alligators at 4 am, in the very water that we needed to continue testing in! That was an experience! I can honestly say that I would do it again, and enjoy it just as much!

Crab with two fish - love this picture!
Cody splashing to make sure the fish don't escape the net.
Pulling up the 70 foot seine net!
Atlantic Stingray

Blue crab
Lined Sole - a type of flounder - 135 cm!
Jesse and Laura on the job!
4 hours of sleep and soaked from the seine but enjoying every minute!
  We made it through an intense, learning-filled, exhausting, and enjoyable trip around Florida! I can't believe that it is over, and I am going to miss everyone. Thank you to everyone who organized this class and made it possible, all the professors and participating universities, FIO, our amazing TA, Breanna, and everyone in the class! I had a great experience and would definitely do it again if I had the chance.
Group photo on the last day!

No comments:

Post a Comment