Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 1 USFSP

Our first day at USF Saint Petersburg went off without a hitch! I learned quite a few new things this morning from Dr. Judkins.  For example, I learned that "seston" refers to any particles suspended in the sea, living and non-living. I was also surprised to find out that the Portuguese Man-of-War is not a single creature, rather it is made up of thousands of individuals who could not survive alone thus allowing it to avoid predation. We were very lucky to not get rained on this afternoon when we went to Fort DeSoto Beach to collect and try to identify various species from sea grapes to arrow crabs. I was surprised at the amount of species we were able to identify even though we stayed within 50 yards of the shore. Overall, it was a great day and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment