Sunday, June 9, 2013

Goodbye USFSP!


This week has been quite an adventure! From going out to sea on the Weatherbird II, to being rained out and having to going to the Florida aquarium. This week the big thing that I learned was that weather can be a researcher’s worst enemy! We found that out the hard way on Thursday when tropical storm Andrea decided she didn’t want us to go back out to sea again. So instead we made our way over to Tampa to the Florida aquarium. I’ve been there a few times already and was actually just there about a month ago but still every time I go I learn something new. Friday we had a classroom day to wrap up the week and go over some of our data collected from our Weatherbird II journey from Tuesday. We got to see how our data could be used for a whole range of things and even though it didn’t seem like we had that much it could be used by others for a lot of other projects. This whole week one of the things that has yet to escape my mind is plankton. They’re just too cool and it’s amazing how complex they can be. So my word of the day is holoplankton. Holoplankton are organisms that will remain in a planktonic form their entire lives. Now it’s time to finish packing up here at USFSP and head towards Ft. Meyers. Let’s do this!

 The otters at the aquatium are always my favorite! They were flipping for food, which is actually frowned upon by the care takers.
 Jellyfish never cease to amaze me, something so simple is so complex.
I've never really used a blog before so I don't know how well this video will turn out but it makes me giggle how they look like they're dancing. So if you can view it I hope you enjoy it too!

2 comments:

  1. Great jelly pic! And I saw that shrimp dancing on the sea cuke too - maybe a mating dance???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were able to post a video. I think the key is to keep it short.

    ReplyDelete