Saturday, June 8, 2013

Days 4 and 5 at USFSP

Due to inclement weather, we were unable to make our second trip on the Weatherbird II on day 4. However, we didn't waste any time and used the day to continue identifying and quantifying data collected from Tuesday, and we visited the Florida Aquarium, which was way more interesting than I expected. I saw myself looking at the "mini-ecosystems" in each exhibit in a more analytical way than I would have previous to the course. I learned how to perform an ethogram, which is something I have done before, but now I have a term to go with the process. We spent a predetermined amount of time (10 minutes) observing a species of our choice at the aquarium, tallying counts on a list of actions that were previously observed to be characteristic of that animal (ex bird. It was really cool being able to relate this to the other half of the research project I'm doing with white rhinos; the overall goal is to combine the genetic data that I'm collecting with behavioral data on SEZARC's end. The observational studies they do at the White Oak conservation center sounds a lot like an ethogram!

Friday, we analyzed the results of the data we had collected with the CTD, neuston nets, bongo nets, capetown dredge, and otter trawl. I was very glad we went back and did something with the data; in previous exercises in other "practice" settings, we perform the collection but never revisit the data collected. It was very interesting to determine the species richness, evenness, and overall diversity, as we broke each station and collection method into categories such as invertebrates and vertebrates. I had a little slip-up and counted a tunicate as an invertebrate! Whoops. Dr. Judkins kindly reminded me that tunicates are in fact chordates. You learn (or remember from Biology III lecture!) something new every day!

Overall, this location has provided us with a structured, constructive, interesting, and entertaining framework for learning. I was very impressed with Dr. Judkins and her knowledge on the subject she teaches. I was admittedly dreading the "Open Ocean" week, because it was an area that I knew contained a gap in my knowledge; normally when we talk about marine life, it's related to the coast. I learned more this week than I ever imagined, but I didn't feel overwhelmed or belittled about my lack of knowledge.

 I plan on keeping in touch with Dr. Judkins in the future as a resource for future career goals and options. Additionally, after this trip I am entertaining the idea of graduate school at USF! It's a really great campus with a lot of resources. Thanks for everything USFSP!!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment