Friday, June 7, 2013

Leaving USFSP

This week was fantastic. The trip aboard the Weatherbird II was phenomenal. I went fishing today and Cody and I caught some of the fish that we caught on the cruise and I was able to identify them (I think). And I've never been too educated when it comes to identifying fish I catch. :P
For the end of the week we identified some leftover species as well as sorted them by general groups to compare the diversity between sites, as well as overall. My favorite sample was the plankton.  I learned about larvaceans, a type of free swimming tunicate that contributes to marine snow as well as to filtering the water of the oceans.   
Also, due to tropical storm Andrea we did not make our second voyage aboard the Weatherbird II, but instead ventured to the Florida Aquarium where we observed the various aquatic ecosystems of Florida.  Here I learned how to do an ethogram by observing the Crevalle Jack as it swam socializing with another of its species.

This experience has been well worth it and I can't wait to see what else it has to offer.

A trip to Florida's aquatic ecosystems

Organizing our data

1 comment: