Wednesday, June 5, 2013

First day at sea


Yesterday was the first day we went out on the Weatherbird II to explore and sample in the Gulf. As it was my first boat trip, it was incredibly exciting for me (at least, after about 8-9 hours of seasickness)! I loved learning the different techniques for sampling, such as using the otter trawl and the dredge (below).
We collected so many things, I had no idea how much diversity there would be! One of the most interesting creatures we collected was a batfish!

 I also learned some boat terminology (as I was as inexperienced as you can get) like the "mess deck": a place in the boat where you can eat some fantastic food the cook makes, but also the last place you want to be if you are prone to seasickness when the waves are choppy. We did have a fun time though, and I'm excited to go out again and do more sampling to see what else we can learn about the open ocean!


No comments:

Post a Comment