Sunday, June 23, 2013

Keys Marine Lab Week!


This week in the Keys Marine Lab on Long Key was characterized by our extensive coral reef exploration, snorkeling adventures, and a hearty dose of Vitamin D! I've spent a lot of time in the Florida Keys in recent years, through family and friend trips, and my coral larvae research at the Mote Marine Lab, but my experience this week was unlike anything I have ever encountered before. This was due to the extensive field time that was planned by Dr. Voss and Dr. Hanisak. Throughout the week, we toured vastly different habitats from mangrove "jungles" to the most extensive and untouched coral reefs I have EVER seen. The days were set up in which (almost) every morning began with boat and field work and ran until about 3 in the afternoon, followed by an hour break, and then a brief lecture in the evening.

The view from our balcony of the Keys Marine Lab facility
Photo taken by Arien Widrick

Keys Marine Lab!
Photo taken by Arien Widrick



On Monday, we visited 3 offshore reef sites: Eleven Foot Mound, Long Key Ledge, and Elbow Reef. Unfortunately, I realized how rough the seas were going to be a little too late, and spent a lot of the time leaning over the edge of the boat, but the sites were amazing and I did the best I could to enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime experience.

This picture shows the boat we used to travel to the various sites.
Photo taken by Arien Widrick


Packed on the boat like sardines!
Photo taken by Arien Widrick


"Look how blue the water is!"


On Tuesday I made sure I took my seasick medication, and had a much more pleasant experience. We went to a site called Koch Key, in the Everglades National Park. We snorkeled through and around the mangroves that filled the island shown below. There were amazing areas where the mangroves formed somewhat of a "grotto" or sheltered slow moving area surrounded for all sides and above by the trees and its prop roots. Then we went to a snorkel area right off of the KML that was predominately seagrass.

Koch Key
Photo taken by Arien Widrick
Gorgeous mangrove canopy 

On Wednesday we started with a lecture on macro algae by Dr. Hanisak. Next, we went out for a "half-day" on the boat in anticipation for the long day we would be having on Thursday. We went to a site just offshore of a beach called Big Sponge. As the name suggests, it was characterized by various sea sponges from lobular shapes to vase sponges. I was surprised at the diversity of fish in the area; after Dr. Voss's lecture of the top 50 most abundant fish on Tuesday I was extremely pleased to be able to identify most of the fish I saw. We also went to an artificial reef in Hawk's channel. The highlight of that site was seeing a 9 foot nurse shark cruise through the surprisingly high coverage of coral on the artificial foundation. 

Various Macro-algae types including Halimeda, Penicillis, Valonia and Caulerpa



As promised, Thursday was jam-packed with activities. We left KML at 6:15 am for Looe Key. The loss of sleep was proved worthwhile as we arrived at the most beautiful, extensive, and diverse coral reef I have ever seen. I was filled with hope as I snorkeled through schools of Sergeant Majors and followed giant Midnight Parrotfish as they nibbled on bits of massive coral heads. After hearing about the mass bleaching events and coral "graveyards" I was skeptical and unsure that pristine reefs were even existent. Looe Key, thankfully, proved me wrong. Our next location, Mote Marine Lab, also gave me hope about the fate of the corals. Although I have stayed at Mote two years to perform coral larvae research with Dr. Cliff Ross, I have never received the background knowledge and grand tour of the facility that I was given on Thursday. Dr. David Vaughan told us about coral restoration projects involving fragmentation and growth in captivity and the high level of success the efforts are having. Next, we went to Bahia Honda and explored the intertidal pools created by ancient exposed reefs. Cody and I walked ahead and found a giant empty conch shell!!! 

Example "puck" that a skeleton Acropora cervicornis, one of the most successful species in restoration, has grown on
Photo taken by Arien Widrick 

Giant conch shell at Bahia Honda! 
On Friday, we visited the Windley Key Fossil Reef State Park and received a tour of the park; our guide covered the geological, botanical, and historical importance of the area. 

Quarrying machine at Windley Key
Photo taken by Arien Widrick


Mesmerizing root system of the Ficus aurea, or the Strangler Fig
My classmates and I have agreed that this week has been phenomenal. We enjoyed the fact that the learning structure was more casual, flexible, and hands-on, although the same could be said about the other locations as well. But, its hard to beat the exotic, mysterious, diverse, and unparalleled habitat that is the Florida Keys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment