Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Not All Fun In The Sun!


We arrived at the Florida Gulf Coast University Vester Marine Laboratory on Sunday evening and we have been in a whirlwind of science since! Each day we are receiving a crash course in many areas of marine study. Day 1 we learned about paleoclimatology and took earth core samples with Dr. Jo Muller. After analyzing our ancient dirt we worked with Dr. Toshi Urakawa, who let us collect mirobe samples from different locations in the dirt column. We will be seeing later this week if there are actually microorganisms within the different layers. It will be fascinating to see if anything can live that deep in the dirt!
Dr. Toshi in his natural habitat!
Day 2 we worked with Dr. David Fugate to learn about physical oceanography and the role currents play in the estuarine system. We split up into two groups; one group broke off into canoes to test the current strength with drifters (Grapefruit!) The other group (my group) traveled upriver with Captain Bob and Dr. Dave to test the abiotic factors of the surface and bottom. Specifically salinity, temperature, and dissolved oxygen.


Dr. Dave and the CTD
I make using the YSI look easy!



















Lauren and I taking measurements upriver.

The mouth of the Estero Bay.
 I have been having such a fun time here! I love the site and its closeness to the river and beach. Also it is awesome to have so many knowledgeable staff at the tips of our fingertips. The experience that I have had in the last couple days is invaluable to me. Every day I find myself asking bigger scientific questions, for example, using the YSI has inspired me to wonder if in my home lagoon, the Indian River Lagoon, how far the salt water reaches upriver and also what kind of estuary it is, partially mixed, well mixed, or salt wedge?!

We needed to cool off! :)
I look forward to the coming days with the greatest of enthusiasm. I never know what the next day will hold! 

No comments:

Post a Comment